Friday, November 14, 2014

Here I go again (planting milkweed seeds)

I planted what seemed like hundreds of seeds last November.  And seedlings did pop up.  But they were clumped together and I learned that you need to space seeds out.  Crowding causes weaker plants.  So they never got above maybe 6" tall.  Those seedlings may surprise me next year, but I planted new seeds in new areas and planted so far maybe 20 seeds.  I did throw a bunch into the woods and let loose many parachutes to carry the seeds to parts unknown.  I have more seeds that I will try to plant but the theme is plant less and try to get a few strong plants for next year.

Here are my four areas so far.  Just loosened the dirt and planted maybe 6" apart.




 
Not much to see here.  I have marked with a golf tee.  This is the area behind my back fence but this year moving more into the woods so my neighbor doesn't trample when he comes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment