Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Deer, Birds and Squirrels (Oh My)

Here is some "pre-snow" activity in my feeding area.

First up a doe...





I'm seeing the usual birds at my feeder (Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Red-bellied Woodpeckers and Dark-Eyed Juncos).  I'm pretty sure I saw an American Goldfinch the other day.  I had some last year.  I did see a Bald Eagle fly over our house the other day.  But what I think I can confirm is I saw a Hairy Woodpecker (vs a Downy Woodpecker).  They look very similar but are larger than a Downy and I wasn't sure I could tell the difference.  These are not good pictures, but to me, this was larger than a Downy.  So here is a Hairy Woodpecker (to my eyes)...


 
I'm trying to get close to the feeder without scaring the birds.  On this day, I was able to capture a willing White-breasted Nuthatch...
 







And now the clowns of my backyard, Fox Squirrels.  The first picture will show five squirrels feeding.  A sixth was on my fence.  And you will see one sizing up my feeder and then trying to crawl down (with no success).




No comments:

Post a Comment