Monday, February 22, 2016

Hawk fan

I try to remember to bring my camera when I'm walking Russ in the morning and had it today.  I spotted this hawk flying in the neighborhood and got as close as I could and did my best to take a picture while having a 65lb dog on my wrist.  I can't tell for sure whether this is a Cooper's hawk or a Sharp-shinned hawk because they are cousins and very similar.  The Sharp-shinned hawk is smaller and you can look for things like necks and tails.  The size suggests a Cooper's hawk but the tail seems squared so maybe a Sharp-shinned hawk.  They are built to fly in the woods and like to surprise birds at a feeder.

Not the clearest picture but I'll let my Salina readers weigh in on what I have here...

 
 
** Editor's Note: My nephew Jon feels this is a Cooper's hawk not fully mature.  The size for one and the fact that they stay year-round.
 
 
And here are a few pics of geese in formation over our house...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment