Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Eastern Goldfinch (the bird of many names)

The Eastern Goldfinch is the state bird of Iowa and New Jersey.  More commonly called the American Goldfinch or "wild canary" (also "lightning bird").  It became our state bird in 1933.

Thinking back, I have referred to this bird as an "American" Goldfinch in previous posts because that is technically what it is.  Growing up it was always "Eastern" to me.  We just have a regional name along with New Jersey (which named it the state bird in 1935).

It is also the state bird of Washington (as of 1951) but they call it a "Willow" Goldfinch.  Same bird...still an "American" Goldfinch but just the local name given.

I took these photos after work and are definitely the best I've taken with summer colors.  Amazingly I got within 10 to 15 feet.  I've been close to the feeder in winter but I found today remarkable.





No comments:

Post a Comment