Friday, January 26, 2018

Sunny Day ~ Open for Business

Feeder filled to the top and open for business...

 
If it seems like I see the same type of birds over and over again, it's because that's what lives in the area and that is what I'm attracting.  I don't put out a tray-style feeder so I rarely get Northern Cardinals (maybe on the ground) and the mix I put out is not designed for finches although I'm getting House Finches. 
 
Here is my unofficial "pecking" order of what I see:
 
1. White-breasted Nuthatch (most common and least afraid)
2. Black-capped Chickadee (common but they are quick to hit and quick to fly off to eat)
3. Downy Woodpecker (I may have Hairy Woodpeckers but from what I've seen - Downys)
4. Red-bellied Woodpeckers
 
I get Dark-eyed Juncos on the ground for sure.  And I'm seeing more sparrows and House Finches and that may be due to my neighbor's feeders.
 
So, here is what I saw yesterday afternoon:
 
First up, White-breasted Nuthatches...
 



 
A Black-capped Chickadee joins in...



 
I got some better shots of Black-capped Chickadees...
 

 
And my first 2018 pictures of Downy Woodpeckers...
 

 
A White-breasted Nuthatch pops in from above...


No comments:

Post a Comment