Friday, March 16, 2018

Don't stand so close to me

I've noticed how White-breasted Nuthatches really aren't shy when I'm standing at the fence.  And I've taken some pictures standing close to the feeder when I on the other side of the fence doing something so I thought "what if I stood next to the tree or just behind it?"  When I'm at the fence, I'm probably 12 feet away.  Standing behind the tree puts me about eight feet from the feeder.  So I was out yesterday playing with the zoom to see how pictures would turn out.  You'll see below that some are clearer than others.  When I zoomed all the way, not as clear.  And you'll see some of the pictures that I tried to really zoom were not well-lit.

By the end of the afternoon, I finally had some sun and was fortunate to capture a Downy Woodpecker.

Here's what I got...

First efforts a little shadowy and finally some sun on this White-breasted Nuthatch.



 
Here is a Black-capped Chickadee...
 
 
Some close-ups of a Downy Woodpecker that could stand more sun...
 

 
Nuthatch again in better light
 

 
And here is my series of Downy Woodpecker pics from my new vantage point and some sun







 
And here is my new vantage point

 
 
After 5pm seems to be a busy time on the edge of the woods.  I'm chasing Eastern Bluebirds now.  And there are elusive Northern Cardinals that seem to live in some thicket next door on the wood's edge.  I finally got a few decent pictures...
 



No comments:

Post a Comment