Friday, May 8, 2020

The case for dandelions (it's not about bees)

We don't treat our yard for dandelions.  We would rather not expose our dog to chemicals and I've learned that dandelions are important early in the year for honey bees.  And over the years, I've noticed that finches and Chipping Sparrows like to eat the tops off the ones that have gone to seed.

This year has been no different and we've had the addition of American Goldfinch in my back yard...

 
 
 
The excitement this past week though was having Indigo Buntings in my backyard eating the seeds while sharing space with our state bird the American Goldfinch.  Below is a snippet from my blog listing photos I wanted to take and you'll see Indigo Buntings closer was a goal.  The pictures aren't the best but I didn't have to leave my house so I consider myself lucky.  I've even included a short video clip:
 


 
Two for the price of one...

 
And a video clip just because...
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment