Thursday, August 30, 2018

Hawk Rescue

Cindy and I were driving home today when something hit our car out of nowhere.  We knew there was nothing in the road to avoid.  After the impact, I saw the oncoming car swerve a bit.  Looking in the rearview mirror I saw something brown and white tumbling off to the side of the road.

I took Cindy and Russ home.  I didn't see any damage to my car.  I drove back to see what I hit and what condition it was in.  Walking up to that area, I saw this Cooper's Hawk...
 





 
 
I could see movement and the hawk was upright so I thought it had a chance. I texted Cindy what was going on and she called the Dept of Natural Resources.  They referred us to a local volunteer group that rescues/rehabs wild birds.  I connected with someone and told her the location.  She texted me "got it" and sent me two pictures...
 


 
Looking back, if my window had been down, I may have had a visitor in the car.  Kudos to these awesome volunteers.  We got an update saying it had a swollen right eye and likely a concussion.  She will start it on pain meds and fluids before further examinations.  She said too soon to tell how it will do.  Likely going to SOAR, the raptor hospital tomorrow.
 
Here is a link to SOAR.  There is a link for "patients" so maybe we can track progress...



And finally a little video...



No comments:

Post a Comment