Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Yet another new bird feeder out on January 5

My $5 feeder was short-lived.  Had good activity but was in a bad spot.  Here is a White-Breasted Nuthatch hanging on the bottom.



The squirrels had it too easy as you can see in this picture...They also chewed it up.



Dean got me a book on feeding birds and I was reading about squirrels.  I grew up watching them dive off our garage onto feeders.  I remembered that my mom bought a squirrel-proof feeder.  After doing my research, I have invested in a Squirrel Buster Classic.  If they jump on, their weight will close off access to the food.  I also tried to hang high enough to keep the deer from having it too easy.  So the birds have come back.  This type of feeder isn't favored by Cardinals, but all the usual players are back including my new favorite Red-Bellied Woodpecker.  The squirrels have been eyeing thing and testing distances, but I don't think they will be a worry anymore.  Now I just need to figure out how much the feed is costing me :)

Back in business with the Red-Bellied Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment