Sunday, April 15, 2018

Snow and a rabbit rescue

So we had snow overnight. 

 
Birds like this Northern Flicker were dealing with the elements...
 

I didn't get any pictures on my trail camera due to the snow.  We haven't seen mama since Wednesday and going into today, we weren't sure we still have kits (bunnies) and how many.  They are probably big enough to survive but we're not sure.

Here is my camera this morning...



Here is the hutch after the overnight snow...

 
Time to sweep for Russ and me and clear a little for the bunnies?
 
 
Look closely at these next two pictures.  Look under the deck and all the way back and see if you see eyes lighting up from the camera.  Signs of life...
 

So I've been looking for signs of our bunnies and I've been checking our very deep window well because I have pulled a bunny out last year and certainly voles, toads and frogs find their way down there.  Lo and behold this afternoon I found two scared kits down in the well. 
 

 
I came out with my trusty Folgers coffee "can" and quickly realized they had grown a bit so I went back inside for a plastic tub to get them out.  As you can expect they wanted nothing to do with me but got them in one at a time and dumped them out on the ground.  They both scampered under the deck.
 
Remember the picture above.  I believe we see eyes under the deck while there are two bunnies in the "hole".  So I have to think we have more than two left and possibly all four.
 
So look at this picture.  I'm going up the stairs and you can clearly see two eyes under the deck...
 
 
With a successful rescue, I put my camera back out and got these images shortly after...
 



 
Turned out to be an encouraging day.


No comments:

Post a Comment